“Love One Another As I Have Loved You…” John 15:12
Stephen Ministry is a one-on-one, Christian caregiving ministry by trained lay persons from our parish. Stephen Ministers are individuals who are carefully selected because of their special gifts for caring ministry and their ability to listen in a non-judgmental way. They are not counselors or spiritual directors but persons who have a heart for caring and compassion. Stephen Ministers walk alongside persons who are going through a transition or turning point in their lives, and through this caring relationship bring God’s healing love and hope.
A Stephen Minister and Care Receiver relationship is very special. Those who typically request a Stephen Minister are those experiencing grief from the loss of a loved one, serious illness, job loss, divorce or other life transitions. Stephen Ministers are there to provide spiritual and emotional support and to listen. This caring relationship continues as long as there is a need.
All Stephen Ministers must complete 50 hours of training in caring skills, and are required to participate in ongoing, bi-monthly, confidential supervision. Stephen Ministers meet with their Care Receivers once a week for about an hour and relationships are matched by gender.
Each parishioner plays an important role. Here’s what you can do:
- Pray for your Stephen Leaders and Stephen Ministers.
- Pray that God will bring hope and healing to the hurting people of our parish through Stephen Ministry.
- Accept care from a Stephen Minister if you are going through a difficult time. No one should have to journey alone.
- If you are a good listener with a loving and compassionate heart, prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister.
“Bear one another’s burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ”
Get in on the Action! Become a Stephen Minister
Would you like to be part of a ministry that makes a real difference in the lives of others when they need it the most? Prayerfully consider becoming a Stephen Minister!
- Bring Christ’s healing love to those in our parish and community who are experiencing difficult times.
- Are there to listen and give compassionate care to those who ask for help.
- Share Christ’s love by giving emotional and spiritual support and by praying with their care receiver.
- Remain in the caring relationship as long as there is a need.
- Share available parish and community resources when appropriate.
- Maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the caring relationship
- Complete 50 hours of training in caring ministry, followed by ongoing supervision and continuing education.
Once equipped, Stephen Ministers are prayerfully matched with people who are going through a stressful time or life difficulty. A Stephen Minister meets with this person once a week for about an hour to listen, care, encourage, and pray. The Stephen Minister brings Christ’s presence into the person’s life and also experiences Christ in the other person.
It’s really a life-changing ministry for both the care receiver and the Stephen Minister.
“Where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them.” Matthew 18:20
There are times when every one of us experiences difficulties...
- loss of a loved one
- job loss
- spiritual crisis
- new baby
- serious illness
- many other challenges
God never intended for us to go through these difficult challenges alone. That is why God has brought us together as a parish —and why we have Stephen Ministry.
Every week, a Stephen Minister will meet with you —privately and confidentially—to listen, care, encourage, support, and reflect Christ’s presence in your life.
If you would like a Stephen Minister for yourself or someone else you know is hurting, contact a Stephen Leader.